Volunteer at the Library
Are you looking for ways to enrich your life and the lives of others? Volunteer at the White Oak Library District!
Volunteers assist with many important roles at the Crest Hill Branch, Lockport Branch, Romeoville Branch, and Outreach Department. These include Friends of the Library, Outreach Home Delivery, Adopt-a-Shelf, ESL Conversation Group Tutor, Citizenship Prep Class Volunteer, being a Library Concierge, and more. There are many ways that you can help make the library an incredible place to visit.Fill out the Adult Volunteer Application and return it to any White Oak Library District Branch.
- Friends of the Library: Join this group and help out at their activities, including maintaining the Book Nook, sorting through donations, working at book sales, or serve on the Friends’ Board.
- Outreach Memory Kits: Be trained to lead programs with patrons who have memory problems.
- Library Concierge: Welcome visitors to the Library and provide direction within the Library.
- Adopt-a-Shelf: Be trained to monitor a section of the Library to keep items in order, dust, and face shelves.
- Outreach Home Delivery: Deliver Library materials to home bound patrons’ doors.
- ESL Conversation Group Tutor: Learn how to help people whose second language is English.
- Citizenship Prep Class: Be trained as a volunteer to assist in these classes that help legal permanent residents prepare for their naturalization interview.
- Maintain the DVD, BluRay, & CD Disc Collection: Be trained in using our disc cleaning machine.
Run for a seat on the Library Board of Trustees (once elected, trustees serve on a voluntary basis). There are 7 seats on the Board, with elections every other year in April, in the odd numbered years. Elected terms are 6 years, with staggered openings, thus there are two or three seats open in any trustee election year.
The library will utilize appropriate volunteer candidates wherever possible, but we cannot promise that volunteer applicants will be offered an opportunity. Decisions to offer volunteer opportunities will be based on each library’s need and on the best interests of the District.